Mammalogy Fall 2008 Exam 2
1-6 MATCH THE CRITTER PICTURE (2 points each)
- Manidae ______
- Myrmecophagidae _____
- Phyllostomatidae _____
- Talpidae _______
- Tarsiidae ______
- Tenrecidae _____
Multiple choice, Select the best answer. 2 points each
- Which trait is unique to primates?
- Parental care in some species of the order Scandentia is notable because
- Cynocephalians (Order Dermoptera) are (locomotor
- What form of primate locomotion is associated with a prehensile tail and
reduction or absence of the pollex?
- Neotony has been used to explain the evolution of
- Some members of this family produce a neurotoxic saliva.
- Which of the following families has expanded its range northward the most
in the past 100 years?
- The order Xenarthra gets its name from having
- Eimerís Organ is associated with which sense
- Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of bats?
- Which of the following provides the best explanation for why bats use
high frequency sound waves in echolocation?
- Bats that have high aspect ratio wings would most likely forage
- The principle advantage of high frequency (vs. low) sound in bat
echolocation is that
- A tooth comb is found in which of the following primates
- Brachiation is most likely to be found in which
- Which family of primates has a diet primarily of insects and small
- The Megachiroptera are characterized by
- The locomotion of mammal with an elongate olecrenon of the ulna, a keeled
sternum, and a stout humerus is best described as
- The principal diet of the bat family Pteropodidae is
- Name a family of mammals that feeds almost exclusively on ants or
termites. (2 points)
- List four specializations that are typical of ant and termite feeders
- Discuss the main advantages for feeding on ants and termites that has
caused it to evolve in so many orders of mammals (4 points)
Answer one of the following using examples from material covered for this
exam (10 points)
- Certain life history characteristics (characteristics of the species
biology, not human caused) make certain species more susceptible to
extinction. What are the two most important features of their life
history that make them susceptible? Give examples of strategies that
could be used to help preserve TWO mammals from different orders facing
DIFFERENT natural problems.
- Give three examples of follivores from three different families from
at least two different orders. What characteristics do they have in
common? How do they differ?
- Bats exhibit several unusual reproductive strategies including
- What is delayed fertilization?
- What is the advantage of delayed fertilization for male bats?
- What is the advantage of delayed fertilization for female bats?
- For each of the following SELECT A FAMILY OF YOUR CHOICE and characterize
it (information such as diagnostic characters, distribution, behavior,
reproduction, life history, dietary and locomotor specializations,
conservation issues). You can use families from any of the above questions
if you want but DO NOT REPEAT ANY INFORMATION that was included in any other
question or answer or I will deduct points. (10 points each, 30 points
- Order Insectivora that occurs in Texas
- Order Chiroptera that occurs in Texas
- A family of mammals covered for this test that is endemic to the
Ethiopian zoogeographic region (Africa possibly but not necessarily